Kathmandu, May 27
The Ramgunj Irrigation System, an irrigation canal, is going to be built with the financial assistance of the World Bank in Sunsari district under the Sunsari Morang Irrigation Project.
The World Bank will provide 80 per cent of the total cost of Rs. 100 million and the remaining 20 per cent will be borne by the Nepal government.
The system will be handed over to the local farmers after construction. The project would irrigate 7,000 hectares of land, said Divisional Engineer of the Project Kaushal Kishor Jha.
A similar Sitagunj Irrigation System built at a cost of Rs. 70 million had been already handed over to the locals. A 53-km canal was constructed in Chatara with the assistance of Indian government 40 years ago and it was named Sunsari Morang Irrigation Project after handing over to Nepal government.
The project though has been maintained and cleaned up, it was facing many problems, said technicians.